Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

It's Some Kind of Magic - A fun little thing with MTG

Heya all and welcome back to the webway!

Today's post is actually not anything 40k related at all, but instead it is about Magic: The Gathering. For a while now I rarely played the game and I only have one simple functioning deck with me due to my earlier times in the US (A white Myr deck for me, cheap enough and good).

But thanks to a fellow forumite in Second Sphere (a 40k forum that I frequent), I found something akin to the Vassal 40k program but for Magic instead called 'Cockatrice' (http://cockatrice.de/). The program allows one to play Magic online in any format, and has all the cards currently in existence throughout Magic. Like Vassal, it allows for one to play the game for free against one another.

I have gone about playing with the program and I actually am rather fond of it, as for once I do not have to suffer the price of paying so much money for cardboard (I rather pay for plastic lol) and just play the game. So far I am having a blast with the program and I managed to build a few decks which would otherwise cost me a number.

The two decks that I have grown to love are my original white Myr deck and a black/blue Heartless summoning deck. Below are the composition for both my decks (My forumite friends tend to play with legacy and we are quite easy-going with each other to the point of not using sideboard);

White Myr Token deck

Artifacts 
1 Myr Turbine
1 Shrine of Loyal Legions
1 Silverskin Armor
1 Unwinding Clock

Creatures
1 Darksteel Juggernaut
2 Gold Myr
4 Hovermyr
1 Indomitable Archangel
3 Myr Galvanizer
3 Myrsmith
2 Palladium Myr
4 Porcelain Legionnaire
1 Myr Battlesphere
2 Shimmer Myr
2 Steel Overseer

Enchantment
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Tempered Steel

Instants
2 Master's Call
4 Path to Exile

Land
4 Burined Ruin
4 Contested War Zone
10 Plains

Planeswalker
2 Elspeth Tirel


This particular deck is my original deck, and the deck is best described as a rather Orky deck in my opinion. The main goal of this deck is to just keep on breeding those tokens (Myr Battlesphere, Shrine of Loyal Legion, Myr Turbine, Myrsmith, Master's Call) and then pump them up with buffing powers (Myr Galvanizer, Tempered Steel, Steel Overseer,, Contested War Zone, Indominable Archangel, Unwinding Clock) that they can storm the field by themselves.

A cute deck, but a good deck nonetheless.

Heartless Control




Creatures
1 Massacre Wurm
2 Perilous Myr
2 Phyrexian Metamorph

4 Rune-Scarred Demon
4 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Sphinx of Uthuun

Enchantment
4 Heartless Summoning

Instant
1 Doom Blade
1 Go for the Throat
4 Mana Leak
1 Think Twice
1 Victim of Night

Land
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomn
2 Ghost Quarter
5 Island
11 Swamp

Sorcery
2 Black Sun's Zenith
2 Divination
4 Ponders

This deck is an odd one (at least for me), as it's generally a black/blue control deck but with the added danger of putting a lot of big bastards out there as soon as possible and is able to sweep tokens off the table. The deck is not really reliant upon the Heartless Summoning, but it would be preferable to have it in order to make the deck work better.

The deck's main elements are the Heartless Summoning, Rune-Scarred Demon and the Phyrexian Metamorph. They will help me pull out evil meanies as soon as possible and then just flying them towards the enemy to beat face. The rest of the cards are mostly there to search and destroy stuff.

My outlook on the decks are kinda based upon my 40k experiences, so I try to have the best possible balance for everything. Just something for me to do while waiting for 6th edition to come by my door.

No comments:

Post a Comment