Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Baron + Archon list 2000 pts

As I played with my list a little more with 6th edition, I realized that I actually do need some form of assault elements to storm the castle if I am forced to. Despite the random nature of assaults and also the overwatch rules, the fact still remains that close combat is actually more akin to a high-risk, high-reward ploy. 

So with that this list is created.



HQ
1. Archon
Agoniser
Venom Blade
Haywire Grenade
Combat Drugs
Shadowfield

Total pts: 130 pts

2. Baron Sathonyx
Custom Skyboard
Hellglaive
Splinter Pistol
Phantasm Grenade Launcher
Shadowfield

total pts: 105 pts

Elites
1. Kabalite Trueborn Squad
4 x Kabalite Trueborn with Blaster
Venom with 2 Splinter Cannon

Total pts: 173 pts

2. Kabalite Trueborn Squad
4 x Kabalite Trueborn with Blaster
Venom with 2 Splinter Cannon

Total pts: 173 pts

Troops
1. Kabalite Warriors Squad
4 x Kabalite Warriors
1 x Kabalite with Blaster
Venom with 2 Splinter Cannon

Total pts: 125 pts

2. Kabalite Warriors Squad
4 x Kabalite Warriors
1 x Kabalite with Blaster
Venom with 2 Splinter Cannon

Total pts: 125 pts

3. Kabalite Warriors Squad
4 x Kabalite Warriors
1 x Kabalite with Blaster
Raider with Nighshields

Total pts: 130 pts

4. Kabalite Warriors Squad
4 x Kabalite Warriors
1 x Kabalite with Blaster
Raider with Nighshields

Total pts: 130 pts

5. Wyches
7 x Wyches with Haywire Grenades
1 x Hekatrix with Venom Blade and Haywire grenades
Raider with Nighshields

Total pts: 181 pts

6. Wyches
7 x Wyches with Haywire Grenades
1 x Hekatrix with Venom Blade and Haywire grenades
Raider with Nighshields

Total pts: 181 pts

Fast Attack
1. Beastmaster Pack
2 x Beasmaters
1 x Beastmaster with Venom Blade
5 x Khymeara
4 x Razorwing Flock

Total pts: 161

Heavy Support
1. Ravager
3 x Dark Lances
Nightshields

Total pts: 115 pts

2. Ravager
3 x Dark Lances
Nightshields

Total pts: 115 pts

3. Razorwing Fighter
4 x Monoscythe Missiles
2 x Dark lances
1 x Twin-linked Splinter rifle
Flickerfield

Total pts: 155 pts

From the playtesting, I can say that the list works quite well. Only thing that I could think of that would make this list better would be to put in more flyers....but at the same time the Ravagers do help me crack a lot of stuff at range. Not sure what to do.

Perhaps with more playtesting would I get the answer.

5 comments:

  1. I think the beast squad is a bit small to cause major problems even with the baron also i think you kind of overdid it in the lance department, maybe a venom with 3 trueborn with 2 splintercannons? (2 venoms in one :) my 2 cents also your units are kinda all in his face maybe a wrack cadre to sit back wouldnt hurt. If u find yourself lacking tank killing try some scourges with haywires they work really nice for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also having all these witches means u less worry about many vehicles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the lance thing is a given when the meta in my store is so marine-heavy and I am trying to improve my current list from my 5th edition list. Definitely trying to balance it out in order to take on other things. A weakness that I found upon theoretical mathammering is that it is not strong on the anti-horde department, so I may swap out the ravagers for Razorwings (which can also act as anti-flyer).

    The Beastmasters are small as it is much easier to hide them in terrain. With focus fire and stuff like that, it is far easier to snipe things that are out of cover.

    I actually want to get some reavers into the list, but I am not sure what I would dare to take out to get those guys into the list.

    Any ideas Kaleth? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm my only problem is that the troops units need to be brought closer to the enemy and between the T and AS that they got could prove problematic in multi objective missions.

    Yeah I wanted bikes too they rock! If u do put them in definately buy the arena champion and have him carry the cluster caltdrops for precise bombing fun times.

    Most of my lists tend to feature allies even non scoring ones example being nob bikers with warboss etc when you have weak troops you can give the enemy a huge threat that either has to be dealt with or wrecks him forces him into a very bad position.

    The archon sure boosts the wyches but do you really require 2 max wyches and beasts? Could get rid of beasts and sathonix for the bikes or drop a wych squad and archon for the bikes plus maybe 5 back scoring wracks (even 3 will do gtg 2+ cover;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite a purist as of this moment, as I can not figure out what I can convert into my count-as Eldar stuff (I mean, Warwalkers? What counts as a Dark Eldar Walker?) and also I want a general unified theme of Commorragh. So for now I am quite happy enough for not using any allies, to the relief of my LGS for the moment (since I am unusualy genre savvy for my Dark Eldar). I could never drop the Archon (unless the game point limit is too small) as that is my real scrub tendency. So Archon will stay (lol!). :-P

      As for my army-building list and playstyle mentality, my 40k philosophy essentially boils down to these three things;

      1)It is always preferable to fight on the enemies turf and/or piss the hell out of him while containing him to a limited area.

      2) My own objectives are always traps for my opponent units to be obliterated, unless I am really losing my battles.

      3) Everyone works together to become a gigantic threat and make a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

      I have the most success as a very aggressive but methodically cunning general (at least that is what my friends tend to say about my playstyle) and it is also due to my Tau upbringing of having a fluid and aggressive gameplan.

      I could drop the Baron and the Beastmasters, but I would like to test them out for now and see how things will fare for me. Wyches could be dropped as well, as I have taken them in 5th only because they filled the role of tarpitters for me.Now that 6th requires more killing power than tarpitting power, they can be ignored if I wanted to.

      As for the Wracks, I prefer to take a larger squad and make them more useful than just sitting on objectives for the rest of the game. It is also the reason why the 5-man Kabalites are tolerated, as they could still contribute to the overall killing power of my entire list. Not to mention that they do not contribute to the Greater Evil of my list.

      Delete